Ebates Coupons and Cash Back

Friday, October 10

Conn. high court rules same-sex couples can marry

THEY DID IT!!! Another state did it, finally wised up and realized that they needed to face inevitable: we are here to STAY!!

I guess this one makes me so happy because although I was born in New Jersey, my mom moved us to Connecticut when I was about 3 years old, so that's actually where I consider "home". Now I'm actually thinking about going there and "doing the deed", if the law says we can. Have to find out more about it...I'm surprised there isn't more news about it though, I found out on Twitter!! LOL Anyway, here's the story.

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) -- Connecticut's Supreme Court ruled Friday that same-sex couples have the right to marry, making that state the third behind Massachusetts and California to legalize such unions.

The court ruled 4-3 that gay and lesbian couples cannot be denied the freedom to marry under the state constitution, and Connecticut's civil unions law does not provide those couples with the same rights as heterosexual couples.

Justices overturned a lower court ruling and found in favor of the plaintiffs, who said the state's marriage law discriminates against them because it applies only to heterosexual couples, therefore denying gay couples the financial, social and emotional benefits of marriage.

Eight same-sex couples sued in 2004, saying their constitutional rights to equal protection and due process were violated when they were denied marriage licenses.

© 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy.

No comments: