Ebates Coupons and Cash Back

Sunday, February 17

Don't Step On a Crack! Or You Might End Up Like This!

    On January 29th, 2013 I was leaving home to go to work, and BLAM! I trip over a crack in the sidewalk and go crashing face down, elbow down, knee down, ankle down...







 

 Here it is, February 17th, and I have been to the emergency room and two doctors, have an appointment to see an orthopedic surgeon, haven't been to work, and spend most of
my time in bed. My knee was swollen till it looked like a bullseye (left) and I couldn't get a shoe on my foot. I had stitches in my eyebrow and a black eye, and the doctor was worried that I'd broken my cheekbone. (I hadn't.) Now my kneecap is pointing off to the left instead of straight ahead, and I walk like Quasimodo trying to pull the bell cord. 


    And that's just one of the many great things that have happened to me! The week before the accident I'd unexpectedly had to leave a place that I loved working in. (Can't say the job was perfect, but it was okay.) I say unexpectedly because even though someone working a contract can be let go at any time, I was never given any reason to suppose that I would be leaving before the contract ended, at least not without some advance notice. Guess how much notice I got? TWO WEEKS! Like that's really time to go out and find another job, especially in our economy!!! And the explanation? "The client says you're not a good fit." WTF??? What does that mean????

    They say there's always a silver lining, so I've spent a lot of my time here in bed talking to my cat and looking for it...I really can't see it, but I did realize that I wasn't really "kicked to the curb"; at least the kick wasn't as hard as I first thought. The company that I actually work for has bent over backwards to work with me so that I had some income (before I fell) and more importantly, so I can keep my medical benefits. I wouldn't have been able to go to the doctor at all if not for them, so I am seriously grateful about that. (Think I should send a thank you note to the program manager? Maybe one of those edible fruit baskets, she looks like she'd enjoy that...)

    So, I'm back in the job hunting rat race. Filling out and sending in the applications, tailoring my resumes, choosing should I send a cover letter or not.... If anyone knows of an opening for a badly limping grandmother with years of clerical experience including 5 in the federal government as an Administrative Assistant, puh-leeeze let me know!!! 

I'm still here.... Live From Bikini Bottom!

No comments: