Ebates Coupons and Cash Back

Thursday, January 1

How Does A Parent Justify Turning Their Back on Their Child?


Leelah on Tumblr






Despite the background that I come from (can you say drugs, sex, and rock & roll?) I have some very old-fashioned beliefs. One of my most strongly held beliefs is that parents should support/stand up for/help their children in whatever way they can. When you have a child you take on a responsibility that doesn’t just go away when the child becomes old enough to manage for themselves; nor do you just hand off that responsibility to someone else because you decide that you don’t want to/can’t/won’t deal with it anymore. Even when that child is an adult, and bumbling along making their inevitable mistakes, you brought that child into the world so it is your responsibility to see that the child gets through life as easily as possible. Even if that means reconsidering some of your long-held methods of dealing with some beliefs that do not agree with yours.                                                                                
(Now I know this is going to create some backlash with the ‘devout, Holy Ghost filled, dancing in the aisles, slain by the Spirit, fanatical’ types, and I’m sorry for that, but please remember that these are my opinions posted on my blog, and the Constitution says I have every right to do that, so if you disagree please do so in a calm and polite manner in the Comments.)  
There are people who consider themselves to be good Christians, the ones that are very strict and super straight are the ones I’m talking about now. Those who follow to the letter those parts of the Bible which they feel justify their stance on the big issues, while shoving aside as ‘outdated’ those that don’t, these are the type of people I mean. People like 17 year old Leelah Alcorn’s parents. I was heartbroken when I read the suicide letter; to think that this child felt so shut out by her own parents that she felt the only answer was to walk into busy traffic. I just cannot fathom how anyone, and most certainly not a parent, could see the anguish their child must have been suffering, and been so heartless as to cause that child to commit suicide!  I say they were heartless because of the way they responded when she came out at school. Instead of trying to work something out with her, a compromise of some sort, they essentially imprisoned her for five months! They gave her no support, and made sure she got none from anyone else either. That is so unbelievably cruel, to take everything away from another human being, let alone your own flesh and blood…
Now, as a parent I’m not saying that I believe Leelah’s parents should have rolled over and given her everything she wanted; sometimes people have lines they feel that they simply cannot cross, for one reason or another. I’m sure though that they could have gotten much closer to that line before they crossed it, if they had just unbent and listened to her. I wonder how they feel now, having chosen their belief system over their child?

Ohio Transgender Teen Commits Suicide, Cites Religious Zealot Parents’ Attempt to Control Her Life Union Township, Ohio

Union Township, Ohio – A transgender teen girl chose to walk into the path of Interstate Highway traffic rather than face discrimination and harsh treatment for her gender expression. Cincinnati.com reports that Leelah Alcorn, 17, was struck and killed by an oncoming tractor-trailer truck at approximately 2:30 a.m. on Sunday, December 28, after leaving an extensive suicide note on her Tumblr account social media page. The driver of the truck, Abdullahi Ahmed, 39, was unhurt in the tragic incident that took place near the South Lebanon exit on I-71 because of his fastened seatbelt. Ms. Alcorn’s body was transported from the scene by the Warren County Coroner’s Office. Ohio Highway Patrol Officers are investigating what led Ms. Alcorn apparently to take her own life.
Ms. Alcorn whose account of rejection, alienation for her parents and school mates highlights the plight of transgender teens around the nation, left two notes on her blog, according to openly gay Cincinnati City Council man, Chris Seelbach : a suicide note, which may be read in its entirety on Councilman Seelbach’s Facebook Page here, and an apology note to the few friends Ms. Alcorn felt she still had at the time of her decision to take her own life. Ms. Alcorn, an M to F transgender youth whose chosen screen avatar was lazerprincess wrote that she had felt herself trapped in a male body since the age of four. In her suicide note which begins, “If you are reading this, it means that I have committed suicide and obviously failed to delete this post from my queue. Please don’t be sad, it’s for the better. The life I would’ve lived isn’t worth living in… because I’m transgender,” Leelah writes that her parents’ response to her discovery of her transgender identity contributed to a self-hatred that dogged her from age 14 until her death three years later. Her mother mandated that Leelah see conservative “Christian” therapists who only contributed to the burden of anger and depression.
The crisis apparently took place at the time of Leelah’s 16th birthday. She writes: “When I was 16 I realized that my parents would never come around, and that I would have to wait until I was 18 to start any sort of transitioning treatment, which absolutely broke my heart. The longer you wait, the harder it is to transition. I felt hopeless, that I was just going to look like a man in drag for the rest of my life. On my 16th birthday, when I didn’t receive consent from my parents to start transitioning, I cried myself to sleep.”

In response to the inflexibility of her parents, Leelah came out as gay at school, believing that doing so would soften the effect of living into her true transgender persona. Her strict Christian parents responded by taking her out of public school, depriving her of any means of communicating with the outside world such as her cell phone and her laptop, and put her into virtual isolation for five months. “No friends, no support, no love,” Leelah wrote. “Just my parent’s disappointment and the cruelty of loneliness.” 

When she was finally allowed by her parents to communicate with others and see her one-time friends, Leelah relates that her excitement turned to deeper agony upon finding out that her classmates were little better than acquaintances who cared little for her true self. After a summer of depression, fearing the unknowns of college, grades, enforced attendance at a church where “everyone . . . is against everything I live for,” and what she believed to be the unreachability of transitioning, Leelah gave up hoping anything could get any better for her. “Either I live the rest of my life as a lonely man who wishes he were a woman or I live my life as a lonelier woman who hates herself, “ she wrote. “There’s no winning. There’s no way out. I’m sad enough already, I don’t need my life to get any worse. People say ‘it gets better’ but that isn’t true in my case. It gets worse. Each day I get worse.”

“That’s the gist of it, that’s why I feel like killing myself,” she wrote in an exhausted, heartbreaking coda to her final testament, struggling to explain who she really was by striking out her male birth name in her parting salutation. “Sorry if that’s not a good enough reason for you, it’s good enough for me. As for my will, I want 100% of the things that I legally own to be sold and the money (plus my money in the bank) to be given to trans civil rights movements and support groups, I don’t give a shit which one. The only way I will rest in peace is if one day transgender people aren’t treated the way I was, they’re treated like humans, with valid feelings and human rights. Gender needs to be taught about in schools, the earlier the better. My death needs to mean something. My death needs to be counted in the number of transgender people who commit suicide this year. I want someone to look at that number and say ‘that’s fucked up’ and fix it. Fix society. Please.”

“Goodbye,

“(Leelah) Josh Alcorn” 


Councilman Seelbach prefaced Leelah’s note with an appeal to his Facebook Friends to contribute what they could spare to TransOhio, so that in some measure, Leelah’s last wish that trans civil rights could somehow be advanced thanks to her having lived. Seelbach, the first openly gay Council Member to be elected in Cincinnati, writes: “While Cincinnati led the country this past year as the first city in the mid-west to include transgender inclusive health benefits and we have included gender identity or expression as a protected class for many years….the truth is….it is still extremely difficult to be a transgender young person in this country.

“We have to do better.” 

We at the Unfinished Lives Project could not agree more with Councilman Seelbach. Transgender youth in America, especially M to F persons, face unimaginable hurdles in the quest to become who they truly are. Seldom are we invited into the long, punishing agony trans teens endure. Leelah Alcorn died because her parents, her school, her society, and the religious underpinnings of the social and moral system of this country are hostile to non-normative gender identity and variant gender expression. Though she was 17 when she stepped into the path of a hurtling semi truck, she was still a child: vulnerable, confused, and above all, wounded. She took her own life. But she cannot be held responsible for the act that took her life. That indictment falls on a culture and heterosexist system in which we all play a part. LGBTQ and Straight alike. Councilman Seelbach declares what we must all resolve to do. Better. So much better, for the multitudes of youth like Leelah Alcorn who deserve a fair chance at the pursuit of happiness in a land that professes to stand for justice. “We have to do better.” Yes. It’s a matter of life and death that we do. (Thanks to Carmen Saenz, Waco, TX activist, for drawing our attention to this story.)

Rest peacefully, lazerprincess, dear sister.

For any Transgender Young Person struggling with life, and in need of a friendly, non-judgmental voice of help and encouragement, we recommend the Trevor Lifeline, a 24/7 phone service where a real person will answer your call, listen sincerely, and offer real assistance.

 Free call, 1-866-488-7386. Call. Text. Now.

As always, the opinions in this blog post are strictly those of the author, who is in no way affliated with Blogger or any of its subsidiaries.


No comments: