Ebates Coupons and Cash Back

Thursday, January 6

5 Things to Do in 2011

I know it's rather late for resolutions; most people pop those out on January 1st, and promptly forget them on the 2nd! I actually hadn't planned to blog about any, but then I heard something on the Tom Joyner Morning Show that made me change my mind.

One of the TJMS commentators did a piece on 5 things we should do; while I have not recreated the whole commentary (I don't take shorthand! LOL) these are the 5 things and the basic meaning behind them.


5 THINGS TO DO IN 2011

1. READ - The first is read; the younger generation is coming up woefully short when it comes to education and literacy. We are the only ones who can change that, by instilling in the young people the idea that 'knowledge is power', and knowing how to read (and using that knowledge) is something that will carry you far in business and social circles. Read to them; make time every day to read to or with them. It doesn't have to be long, or deep, but READ. Let them see you reading. Take time to read the newspaper over coffee in the morning, catch up on what's happening in the world at large and especially in your community. In the evening, pick up a book or a magazine after dinner, rather than hitting the remote or turning on the video game. You can have a 'reading hour' in the evening, where there's no television, video, or even radio, just read. If you want your children and grandchildren to be literate and well-educated, first you must be. "Direct your children onto the right path, and when they are older, they will not leave it." (New Living Translation, 2007)

2. SAVE - There are many ways you can save money, even if you're living from paycheck to paycheck. The most basic, PAY YOURSELF FIRST. Whatever you bring home, before you start on the bills, take a predetermined amount or percentage off the top and pay it to yourself. It's not for spending though, it goes into a savings account meant expressly for that. One way I've found to make it less painless, I have direct deposit, and I have an automatic transfer set up on my payday. When my pay is deposited, the amount I've chosen is automatically transferred to a savings account. By the time I go to pay bills, what's in checking is what I have to work with, PERIOD. You can also find out if your bank has a 'Keep the Change' option; every time I use my debit card to make a purchase, the amount spent is rounded up to the nearest dollar and that change also goes into the savings account. It may not sound like much, but if you use your debit card a lot, it adds up!

3. SERVE - Find a place to volunteer. You can feed the homeless, read to the elderly, visit sick children in the hospital; there are many ways you can serve. Give back to your community some of the blessings you've received. It doesn't have to be daily, or even weekly; you can spend two hours a month helping an elderly couple with their shopping and running errands. However you choose to do it, serve the Lord by serving others.

4. BUILD - Build something. Making something with your own two hands can give you an amazing sense of well-being, of pride, of contentment, and of satisfaction. Better yet, build something with your children! Spending quality time with them building something where there was nothing shows them that a. They don't have to be reach to make things happen. b. They can do anything they set their minds to. It will also give you a chance to be with them doing something fun, other than playing computer or video games or eating dinner! What you build can be something as extensive as a 10,000 piece Lego city, or something as small as a bird house made from a pre-cut set; it doesn't matter, as long as you do it yourself.

5. LOVE - Does this one really need explanation? Love someone, anyone, everyone. Not romantic love, just plain love for humankind. Show someone some love today; you'd be amazed at the love you get back!

So while it's not exactly the way he said it, it's pretty much what he said, with a few embellishments of my own of course. Sounds like a pretty good list to me; nothing too big it can't be done, nothing so small as to render it insignificant, and everything on the list will make a big impact.

Have a Happy and Blessed New Year!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You know what lady? When I first saw the words "New Years Resolution" I thought...."Damn, I don't want to read a damn thing about resolutions. I don't make them, nor do I keep them." But I must admit.........this was damn good. I will certainly adhear to a few of them. Thanks for sharing.

Wanda J said...

Thank you! Glad to hear someone liked the post; hope you shared it! LOL

Actually, I was the same way, when he first started talking I said "Oh no, here we go again..." But he made good sense, good enough for me to write them down and blog about em; I think there are a lot of folks out there who could use them.