Ebates Coupons and Cash Back

Wednesday, July 16

Someone asked me what I thought of the New Yorker cover


So I thought that's what I'd talk about today. What do I think about the New Yorker cover....I've read lots of blog posts and reviews and editorials and just plain people ranting, and it seems that there are a lot of different sides to this issue. On the one hand you've got those who thought it was hysterically funny; then on the other hand you have those who took it seriously, those who thought everything in it was true, so they didn't get the joke. Then on the other hand, you've got people who got the joke, but thought it was in very poor taste, if not bordering on slander. (libel?) And of course you've got those who think that's what the Obamas get for being exactly what they are portrayed as being, a Muslim with a terrorist gun-toting wife.

I'm not so sure how I feel about it; although they keep saying that it's not meant to be offensive, it's really hard for me to believe that. What's the difference between that cover and the 'monkey ' T-shirts that were out a while back? Is either one less degrading? I don't think so....

And a 'terrorist fist jab'? WTH?? Black people have been doing this for YEARS, as a greeting, as a parting gesture, as congratulations or agreement; now all of sudden because the soon-to-be-President does it, it's a terrorist gesture? Where do these people come up with this stuff? Any little thing they can use to twist and make appear negative, it certainly seems like they'll use it.

People have been saying for years that the race problem in this country is better than it was; is it really? I don't think so. I keep wondering, if it had been a white man running against Hilary, what would they have come up with then?

2 comments:

the walking man said...

I thought, as the editor of the NY told of it being parody, that he was more concerned with covering his ass.

I was offended by this, even though I understood it, it is still the left swift boating the left.

Race relations in my corner of the world stopped evolving in the 60's.

Dharma Kelleher said...

While I get the "joke", it torques me off because it just feeds into the delusions of low-information voters (pronounced MOR-ons) who will see the cover and think it's real.