Ebates Coupons and Cash Back

Sunday, September 21

The Eye of Big Brother is Always Upon Us

There's a pretty interesting blog that I've dropped in on once in awhile; it's one of those that you have to 'register' to read, which I've never minded doing. I've never left a comment on the blog, merely read it every now and again when my Google Reader showed something I thought might be interesting. As a matter of fact, I haven't even been there to read anything in probably two weeks or more, so I was quite amazed to get an email from them this past week. I was even more shocked to find that it was telling me (not asking) that if I wanted to keep reading it, I had to verify that my name and picture (if I'd posted one) were authentic!! What's happening here? We can't go and read blogs without having Big Brother looming over our shoulders asking who we are? The site gave some excuse about writers knowing who each other are, which I guess I can kind of understand; if you're really serious about being a writer, and someone posts something telling you that your writing is crap and you should quit, I guess you'd want to know that the person has enough faith in them selves and what they're saying to back it up at least. In my case though, I'm just someone whose stopped by on a few occasions and read some blog posts! Why do they need to verify who I am?

The funny thing is, after getting this email and getting all riled up about it, I go to the site to see what's going on, and there's absolutely nothing about it anywhere. I went in and read some of the blog posts, and no messages popped up, no one interrupted me to ask for my web credintial or anything! I just can't understand it, what was the point of them alerting (upsetting) people like that only to do absolutely nothing when they get to the site? I'm really upset about this, Big Brother is stretching his tentacles out to spy on people and invade their very thoughts! Whether he was going to and changed his mind or he got talked out of it or he realized the futility of it all, let's hope that the fact that I didn't have to do it means that for today at least, another small section of our world still belongs to us.

3 comments:

Lori said...

Beware the octopus mama...the tentacles are looming everyfreakinhwhere..BTW...that is ludicrous. The anonymity of the internet is the best part...Smooch!

the walking man said...

Sounds to me more like a phishing expedition then a verification.

Wanda J said...

A "phishing expedition"? Like someone trying to get people's information? Like a scammer???? OMG, they're really getting creative if that's the case!! LOL