Ebates Coupons and Cash Back

Wednesday, September 10

Who is Roland Martin?

No, I didn't say Rowan and Martin, I said R-O-L-A-N-D M-A-R-T-I-N. He's a political commentator that I've seen on CNN, as well as listened to in the morning on the Tom Joyner Morning Show. (I started out listening to that radio station for his "Win $1000 on the Morning Show Cash Call", and have just gotten into the habit; Tavis Smiley used to do a commentary on it as well.)

Now, I wasn't what one might call "into" politics until the Bush administration. The only good thing that I feel came out of the Bush administration was to make a lot more people aware of what is going on in our government in general, and in the Republican Party in particular. A lot of people, including myself, have followed Bush's 2 terms in office with a feeling of disillusionment and growing horror at just what's happened to our country while we were sitting back, complacent in the knowledge that we didn't need to get all upset, the government would take care of us. We didn't see any reason why we had to get upset, or go running to the polls; who was going to miss our little vote? Besides, there were enough people in the country who were getting upset and voting to make sure that things went the 'right' way. How wrong we were.

Back to the subject at hand though. There are a lot of people, (and as much as I hate to say it, a lot of them are POC) who will vote in this election based on one (or more) of three things: age, race, gender. They will vote for Obama/Biden because they're young, McCain is too old, and/or Obama is black. They will vote for McCain/Palin because Obama is too young, Obama is black, and/or Palin is a woman. I've noticed that in a lot of cases, you know who a person is going to vote for based on their age/race/gender, especially women and POC, and being both, it makes me sick to see it. Roland Martin is a young black man, the kind one would expect to see spouting the "Vote for the brother cause he's black" nonsense, but fortunately he's not. He's actually making sense, at least to me, and I've come to enjoy listening to him. I think if more people came to think like him, and voted on the issues rather than on the emotions, we might actually have a chance at improving things around in this country, rather than suffering through another 4 years of Bushonomics.

4 comments:

Dharma Kelleher said...

I'm totally with you on this!

I don't understand why so many people feel the need to choose based on skin color or genitals. As if voting for someone who is different is somehow not "representin'".

All that matters to me is how someone will conduct him or herself in the White House. Obama had the intelligence and insight to see that invading Iraq (a sovereign nation that had not attacked us) was a supremely bad idea. McCain lacked that insight with all his so-called experience. So did Sen. Clinton.

And this crap about Palin being a governor somehow giving her more or better experience? Please! George W. was a governor and he managed to destroy this company.

Why won't people wake up and smell the Kool-Aid? Why do they continue to fall for the same crap election after election?

Race and gender don't mean squat when it comes to running the country. I'd rather vote for a black man who supports women's rights than a white woman who seeks to take them away.

As for that clip with that guy complaining that Oprah was disrespectful to 50-cent and Ludacris! Disrespectful? What about their disrespect toward women! Brother, please! Shut your mouth until you have something intelligent to say!

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox! ;-)

Dharma Kelleher said...

I meant to say George W. destroyed this country, not company. I need caffeine!

Wanda J said...

You stay on that soapbox, what you're saying is right on the money!! Stay up there and keep right on shouting it, maybe between you and I and our respective soapboxes SOMEONE out there will hear something that makes them realize that kind of thinking is wrong (support the brother cause he's a brother, support the woman cause she's a woman) and they'll wake up and do the right thing. As much as I'd rather have Obama in the White House, I'm not going to run around telling people that they should vote for him because he's black. They should vote for Obama/Biden because that's the team that's going to turn things around in this country, not McCain/Palin.

Lori said...

That You Tube clip was very interesting. When I look at Oprah or Lt. Governor Steele, or Obama, I don't see color. I see people. To me it isn't about black, white, yellow or green. It is about education. I hope the American people show their intelligence in this election and actually use their brains to vote. Lately I am disappointed with the verbal bantering back and forth between Obama and McCain about lipstick other bullshit. Talk to me about my health care and my quality of life. Talk to me about my Social Security. That is what will seal my vote.