Ebates Coupons and Cash Back

Monday, August 11

Jamaican lesbian, facing homophobia, will not be deported

So finally, a story about something being done right for a gay person! (Although there's no guarantee it will stay that way.) When I went to Jamaica for a week for my birthday, I wanted to go with my wife; I couldn't though. She's what's known as a "dyke" in some circles, or a "stud". Basically, she's a very slim woman who at certain times and in certain clothing could at first look be mistaken for a man. (As a matter of fact, the year we were married, we went to a live entertainment supper club, and she almost became involved in an altercation with a 'bouncer' because he was told by a woman who was in there that a man had gone into the ladies room.) I couldn't go to Jamaica with her because she's a very affectionate woman, and she probably would have gotten us killed. Even if she didn't overtly do anything, I am sure there would have been trouble, because the first time someone said something to her that she didn't like, she would have let them know in no uncertain terms, and then it would have been 'on'. Whether the person was male or female would have made no difference to her either.

It really bothers me that I have to let society determine where I can go with the person I've chosen to spend my life with in order to have a life to spend with her! Jamaica is one of the most beautiful spots I've ever seen, and to not be able to it to the love of my life because of the ignorance and hatred of some narrow-minded people...people who are otherwise some of the nicest people I've ever met...well it's just got me tongue-tied. I just don't know what to say.

No comments: