Ebates Coupons and Cash Back

Wednesday, August 6

Medical Testing Bad for Chimpanzees

Did it really take a study to find this out? After all these years of using animals as 'guinea pigs' (scuse the pun) some egg-head finally realized that maybe this was hurting these animals a little more than they'd always believed...

I've never believed in animal testing, and now that I've become a vegan I'm even more against it. I see no reason for animals to be subjected to the agonies they're put through; if you're testing a product that might have such horrible side effects that you cannot test it on human beings, then perhaps humans should not be using it in the first place. I know, that really sounds a bit childish; it just makes me so angry to see adorable little animals be put through torture, just so we can do things that aren't good for us in the first place, or things that we can live without! I have a picture over my desk of a bunch of dogs and they're all hooked up with these plastic masks and tubes running to god-knows-where; it's how they test the effects of cigarette smoking. Like we don't already know that cigarette smoking is horrendous for our health, both directly and indirectly!!

Enough of a rant; there's a lot I've wanted to write about, but just haven't had the time. Between school and work it's been a hell of a summer!! I'm hoping I'll be able to have a little more free time now than I've been having, so things should pick up. (Notice I said "I'm hoping"!! LOL)

3 comments:

Lori said...

I hate animal testing. Once I saw the pictures of the chimpanzees years ago, I was horrified. With all the knowledge and technology there has to be another way. Good luck with your studies my friend....

Wanda J said...

It was the picture I mentioned of the dogs that led me to quit smoking. (finally) September 16th will be one year I've been smoke free. (applause) I picked up my first cigarette at age 11; at my worst I smoked 2 1/2 packs a day.

Thanks for the kind words on my studies, but I believe I'm going to fail my math course. I'm just no good with algebra. After all, I've been out of school over 30 years, wasn't that good at math when I was there, and never had this algebra stuff before. I'm going to work on it though, maybe I can at least get a C.

ReneeG said...

I am a huge animal rights advocate, and having received my degree in Zoology with a concentration in Animal Behavior/Primatology, I hold a special place in my heart for the horrible things to happen to animals, especially primates in the area of medical research.

There is a great movie from 1987 that touches on this subject in a really intense and touching way. If you haven't seen "Project X", I highly recommend it.

To me, this was a groundbreaking movie that dealt with the theme of animal testinge, especially in the 80's, where animals were considered nothing more than mindless creatures with no thoughts or feelings that were meant to be manipulated for the gains of science and technology with no regard to their own pain or discomfort.